Increasing your dairy business profits by reducing milk wastage and increasing quality of output.
From the farm to the packaged product, milk not only loses quality and taste but also volume. Farmers who keep milk awaiting collection have to ensure that the quality and the original taste of milk is retained to maintain their market demand.
However, the most important part for the business is to ensure there is no reduction in volumes of milk dispatched caused by wastages that could be avoided.
Milk is very sensitive and highly perishable as such should be treated with care and kept within the right temperatures to lengthen the lifespan while maintaining the quality. Lack of the right equipment might lead to huge losses when milk goes bad.
Milk cooling tanks are very important in the dairy farming. Finken Holdings Limited trains farmers on the importance of cooling tanks and supply quality equipment both to the government of Kenya and private farm and business owners.
In dairy farming, a milk cooling tank is a storage tank used for both cooling and holding milk at a cold temperature until it is passed to the next stage.
It is made of stainless steel.
Used every day for storage of raw milk on the farm, the cooling tank has to be in good condition.
It must be cleaned after each milk collection.
Reasons why milk cooling tanks are necessary for dairy farming
From the udder milk is approximately 35°C, for it to stay longer and retain the quality milk is required to be 4°C, therefore, there is the need for cooling. Even though cooling can be achieved by other means, the quality of milk is retained when there is a rapid drop in temperature. It should move from 35°C to 4°C within 30 minutes which is not possible to achieve using natural cooling methods. Therefore in summary farmers should use Finken Holdings milk cooling tanks for the following reasons:
- Finken Holdings Limited milk cooling tanks are built to reduce the temperatures from 35°C to 4°C within 30 minutes thus retaining the quality of milk.
- Keeping milk at the right temperature improves the market price for the farmer’s milk due to its consistent quality
- Consistency in the quality of milk from a farm with a cooling tank ensures a continues and ever-growing demand for the product.
- The rapid cooling slows down the growth of the bacteria in the milk, thereby greatly improving its keeping qualities.
- Keeping milk at 4°C, Finken Holdings Limited milk cooling tanks prevents or minimizes micro-organism growth thus keeping the milk fresh for longer.
- Efficient cooling of milk directly after production to 4°C, in conjunction with good milking hygiene makes it possible to deliver good quality milk at two-day intervals, provided that the bulk tank is well insulated.
- Investment in Finken Holdings Limited milk cooling, therefore, has a very good payback in terms of the cost of the equipment and the financial gain.
How to extend the milk storage period with Finken Holdings Limited cooling tanks
- If the tank is operating correctly, milk will be cooled in time.
- Slow initial cooling is not advised; tank specification must be correct.
- Fast cooling rate is necessary, avoid high blend temperatures.
- Milk temperature should reach ~ 4.5°C within 30 min of milking.
- Plate cooling helps (35°C reduced to 18°C approximately).
- Accurate temperature control during storage (3-4°C).
- Excellent hygiene from teat to cooling tank and transportation.
As the milk supplier ensure your milk is at 4°C or 6°C on the higher side at the point of collection for transport to the processors. This will guarantee longer stay for your milk and high quality.
Types of Finken Holdings Limited milk cooling tanks
- Close horizontal milk tanks
- Open horizontal milk tanks
- closed vertical milk tanks
- open vertical milk tanks
Features and benefits of Finken Holdings Limited milk cooling tanks
- A brand new holding tank made of stainless steel
- A mixer to accelerate the cooling process
- The mixers also ensure uniform cooling of the whole amount of milk without foaming.
- Air cooled condensing units especially suited for milk tanks, equipped with hermetic compressors, mainly reciprocating and scroll compressors, sometimes semi-hermetic compressors
- Customized condensing units sized to fit tank dimensions and ambient temperatures
- A wide range of controls to secure reliable refrigeration
- Long service life.
- Manufactured with food grade materials.
- Meets the European and American standards of manufacturing milk coolers to ensure cooling takes place in the right time, so as to avoid both the development of bacteria and the increase of milk acidity (pH).
- A gear reduction motor set to the appropriate RPM mixes the milk so as to ensure perfect homogenization of fats.
- The modern way of manufacture saves space since many processes are done within the same holding unit.
- They are easy to transport.
- Finken Holdings Limited milk cooling tanks are easy to install.
- They are also safe to use since the equipment is orderly and simple
- Have insulated double-wall container and the quality of the built-in components ensures it consumes minimal power during cooling
- Finken Holdings Limited milk cooling tanks are easy to maintenance
- The coolers offer years of trouble-free performance with the lowest operating cost,
- Equipped with electronic programmers with a digital temperature display to provide precise temperature control
- They are free-standing, and simply plug into a standard 120 Volt 20 Amp outlet
- Adjustable feet enable easy leveling
- Equipped with agitators, essential for quick cooling, and will easily cool your milk down from 95’F to 39.2’F in less than 2 hours
- The milk temperature set point is adjustable
- butterfly valve type for the outlet for easy manual cleaning
- The “shoebox” styled lids keep milk cool and secure
- Only require 10% milk content in the tank to work properly and not freeze the milk inside
- The equipment also has a wide range of standard features and options
The ball is in your court. Remember, even these successful dairy businesses and processor you see today were once small ideas that seemed too difficult to implement. So psyche yourself up and go for it – all the best.